Friday, August 6, 2010

Thing 11.5

Thanks for another great summer of discovering tools on the Internet. For my colleagues who are not in Spring Branch ISD, check it out when you have the time. The first course is Library2Play, and the current one I just finished is Library2Play2. Both as well as the newest version Library2Play 3 can be found on the Spring Branch ISD Library Resources web page.
As for my favorite (or most likely to use) aspects of this round, I would have to go with the simple vocabulary tools from Thing 2 such as Wordle, Wordsift, and Voki as one of my favorites. Each of these tools could really help my ESL students master a confusing language. I will also be using the Screencast-o-Matic screen capture video tool very early on in the coming year to establish a collection of how to video clips for my students as they try to master several new programs. The last of my favorites surprised me, but is Second Life. I knew Second Life was out there and basically what it was, but I had no idea of the corporate and educational aspects already in use. I was surprised to find universities, NASA, NOAA, ISTE and many other organizations with sites that could benefit students. While I expect it will be the last one I incorporate (due to my needing some learning curve time), I think in the long run it will be the one with the most impact on students. This is the one "thing" that should probably turn into its own course with guidance through all the steps of getting started and locating the resources that would be beneficial to individual teachers.
I will take away new resources and a reminder that every time I think I'm "advanced" in using technology and resources with my students, there is always a lot more out there to learn and explore. I like the Library2Play format in that I am able to work on each item in my own time frame and from my own home or wherever I happen to be. This is definitely an experience where you will get as much from it as you put into it.
As I am currently pursuing a Master's degree in Educational Technology Leadership, this program has provided me with abundant resources I need to be familiar with and be able to share with teachers on my campus. It will be included as one of the activities I use to address each of the ISTE Technology Facilitator Standards.
The unexpected take-aways from this experience are the exposure to some programs I had not encountered before, and a level of comfort that my experimentation with technology for my students is not as novel as I had believed and in fact needs to push much further.
Thanks for the interesting ride.

1 comment:

  1. Great job finishing Library2Play2! It sounds like you will continue using technology in your teaching and continue to play with technology in your own learning. Your students are lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete

Ginger Girl

Ginger Girl